[oe] [RFC] AMD64 and multilib support

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Wed Apr 15 13:52:13 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 17:32:56 Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > >Next thing is 'libexec' dir. I propose to set it to point to libdir and
> > > be done with that
>
> This is bad, because it forces duplicating of all libexec binaries in
> the system.
> libexecdir pointing to prefix/lib is much better:
> /usr/lib/libfoo-helper (64 bit instance for both libraries)
>
> Both 32 bit and 64 bit libfoo will use this helper.

Given the nature of libexec dir that might be nice to have, so we wouldn't
override libexecdir but just not package it for 32-bit arch.

Just one thing - couldn't there be any situation where libexec program output
would be different for primary and supplementary architectures? And, BTW,
looking at glibc, it installs "getconf/POSIX_V6_LP64_OFF64" for 64-bit
and "getconf/POSIX_V6_ILP32_OFF32" with "getconf/POSIX_V6_ILP32_OFFBIG" for
32-bit.

Although looking at Debian it doesn't have any of this POSIX_* thing at all.