[oe] [RFC] AMD64 and multilib support

Stanislav Brabec utx at penguin.cz
Wed Apr 15 14:23:54 UTC 2009

Roman I Khimov wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 April 2009 17:32:56 Stanislav Brabec wrote:

> > Both 32 bit and 64 bit libfoo will use this helper.
>
> Given the nature of libexec dir that might be nice to have, so we wouldn't
> override libexecdir but just not package it for 32-bit arch.

Exactly. Cross-arch exec() is possible.

Just for your info. openSUSE makes bi-arch in following way:

- Compile everything for i586 (in i586 build environment)

- Compile everything for x86_64 (in x86_64 build environment)

- Run baselibs utility, on i586 packages and extract libraries and
  possible extra stuff to -32bit packages. Baselibs utility can be
  configured per package.

- Make single repository from the stuff above.

The same works for ppc/ppc64 and s390/s390x.

> Just one thing - couldn't there be any situation where libexec program output
> would be different for primary and supplementary architectures?

Yes, it can happen, but I am not aware of any real example.

But arch-dependent include files are not rare. Hopefully, most upstream
developers are aware of bi-arch problem and package platform specific
includes to libdir instead of includedir.

Example:
/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include/glibconfig.h

You need extra rule for packaging of such stuff. Also glibc-dev would
need extra rules.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/