[oe] [RFC] AMD64 and multilib support

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Wed Apr 15 14:55:34 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 18:23:54 Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> Just for your info. openSUSE makes bi-arch in following way:
>
> - Compile everything for i586 (in i586 build environment)
>
> - Compile everything for x86_64 (in x86_64 build environment)

Well, that's nice when you have x86_64 and i586 environments. But here we're
bootstraping toolchain from nothing, so it would involve

- compile everything for i586
- extract libraries from i586
- compile gcc-initial for x86_64
- throw in libs from i586
- proceed with bootstrapping the multilib toolchain

Which would require some management for multiple build trees and then some
cross-build-trees dependency things. Certainly possible, but not sure any
easier. Or am I missing something?