[oe] Building python without downloading dependencies for all modules

Bart Staal bart.staal at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 14:44:29 UTC 2009

Hello

I'm a relative new guy to the OE world, but I fairly managed to find
my way through it and build images for my NAS (ch3snas).

I want to equip my NAS with the python interpreter. If I 'bitbake
python' a big nasty list of dependencies is pulled from the net, eg
x11 headers, sqlite, openssl, tcltk, etc, etc. Calling 'bitbake
python-core' doesn't work, but I now I understand that this package is
created if the python recipe is built.

I'd like to have a way to only download/build the core python stuff,
with only a few modules which I really need. Is there a way to achieve
this with the existing python recipes in the OE repository or should I
create my own python recipes?

Thanks in advance,
Bart

(PS: Not sure whether I'm posting in the right list, but
openembedded-users seems to going to be abandoned:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-users/2009-March/000978.html)