[oe] Building python without downloading dependencies for all modules

Marcin Juszkiewicz marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl
Sun Apr 19 18:44:37 UTC 2009

Dnia sobota, 18 kwietnia 2009 o 16:44:29 Bart Staal napisał(a):

> I'm a relative new guy to the OE world, but I fairly managed to find
> my way through it and build images for my NAS (ch3snas).

If it is not in OE then will you merge support for it?

> I want to equip my NAS with the python interpreter. If I 'bitbake
> python' a big nasty list of dependencies is pulled from the net, eg
> x11 headers, sqlite, openssl, tcltk, etc, etc. Calling 'bitbake
> python-core' doesn't work, but I now I understand that this package
> is created if the python recipe is built.

> I'd like to have a way to only download/build the core python stuff,
> with only a few modules which I really need. Is there a way to
> achieve this with the existing python recipes in the OE repository or
> should I create my own python recipes?

We build Python with lot of extensions. Each module is packaged
separately so you can choose which exactly parts you need. What you see
is build dependencies (which are huge) but result will require all those
extra libs only if you will install all modules.

So live with it or change DEPENDS line in python_VER.bb recipe (but that
way is not so supported by us).

Regards,
JID:      hrw at jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/