[oe] initramfs howto?

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Wed Apr 22 08:49:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 11:45:38 Sledz, Steffen wrote:
> Both kernels do have associated modules.
>
> As i understand OE i have to build two images (for Rootfs-A and Rootfs-B).
> But ...
>
> (a) How do i tell those images which kernels (and as a consequence which
> modules) are associated with it?
>
> (b) How do i build Kernel-B with it's initramfs?

As I understand it's not possible to build multiple kernels currently in OE,
as the packages will be named as "kernel-*" and if versions are the same
you'll get something completely unusable. Even if not, you'll need to be very
careful to get it working right.

We're doing multikernel builds here, but in sort of primary-secondary fashion,
I've split kernel.bbclass into kernel.bbclass and kernel_base.bbclass so that
kernel.bbclass works exactly as it worked before split, but if you use
kernel_base the packages won't be renamed, so if you have "linux-smth" recipe
you'll get "linux-smth-*" packages. Although I should note that our secondary
kernel doesn't have any modules and we're installing both of them on one
image.

I can try to make a patch for current OE if interested, unfortunately we
diverged a little from time overlay was made, so patches from overlay don't
apply easily.