[oe] reverting some csets that kill package upgrade paths

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Apr 24 20:40:42 UTC 2009

Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 09:03:18PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
>
>> Upgrade paths are the foundation of package management, breaking them is
>> stabbing people using your binaries in the eye. Do you want to tell the
>> companies evaluating OE using .dev that they can't use the feature
>> anymore that drew them to OE, namely package management?
>
> Red Herring.  No commerical device is going to point to some random feed
> and just hope things work out fine.  No, they're going to point at their
> supported feeds with updates they've tested and fixed any bugs that they
> happened to have found (and pushed back because they're Good Guys).

I disagree. Angstrom is usable and depends on stable having sane upgrade
paths as a community supported distro.

The issue here is under what circumstances is breaking upgrade paths in
dev acceptable.

Certainly, we do not want to make more work than needed for people
basing distributions from OE, whether they are commercial or community
based.

Philip