[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : Revert "ecore: catch up with the new SONAMEs; move to autosplitting"

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Sat Apr 25 18:17:22 UTC 2009

Hello Mickey,

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
<mickey at vanille-media.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 25 April 2009 15:32:16 Philip Balister wrote:
>> Both Graeme and I have expressed concern that the commits in
>> question should be reviewed.
>
> Good. Then do that. The commits fix the linking and RRECOMMENDS issue which was
> not fixed by Koen's commit. Yes, they may break the update path, I'm sorry for
> that, but sometimes you have to catch up with upstream and we have a stable
> branch for a reason.

I belive that the stable branch is not a proper justification for this.

At least for me, stable is to provide a less moving target. A place where
only tested things get in and all involved transitions are done only when
already done in dev and merged all at same time to avoid a breakage.

This all is not a justification to break the whole World at dev. dev will
be the basis of next stable, and even more, it is the source of changes
for stable. So if we mess it up we'll end up with an very difficult to maintain
stable branch and an unusable dev.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br