[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : Revert "ecore: catch up with the new SONAMEs; move to autosplitting"

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Sat Apr 25 18:34:35 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 April 2009 20:17:22 Otavio Salvador wrote:
> This all is not a justification to break the whole World at dev. dev will
> be the basis of next stable, and even more, it is the source of changes
> for stable. So if we mess it up we'll end up with an very difficult to
> maintain stable branch and an unusable dev.

Yes, and I agree with all that, however there is the need to balance between
breaking everything and letting everything through. If -- like it is happening
right now -- people are paranoid about upgrade paths, then .dev moves to
something where no actual development happens.

If you want to move forward, you will have to allow breakage now and then.
This is the way with all projects. If you don't allow that, people will move
elsewhere with their contributions and .dev will get stale rather than stable.

:M: