[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : Revert "ecore: catch up with the new SONAMEs; move to autosplitting"

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Apr 26 02:11:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:47:40 +0200 Marcin Juszkiewicz
<marcin at juszkiewicz.com.pl> said:

> Dnia sobota, 25 kwietnia 2009 o 21:44:45 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer
> napisał(a):
> > This solution has now been reverted for the sake of the upgrade path.
> > And just for the records, the technical issue wasn't the reason for
> > me leaving the OE core team and resigning from all duties -- it was
> > the way how this situation was handled. Again the core team pretty
> > much stood watching in apathy and let the most vocal decide on his
> > own, letting him carry his own way again.
>
> And the whole 'fun' happened during Friday evening and Saturday when
> some members of so called 'core team' are not reading mails at all. Calm
> down Mickeyl - it is not worth your nerves.

true mickey - patience. one thing i have learnt in the e world is.. i may be
benevolent dictator and may get to call shots and often i get pissed off at
people doing bad things... but making drastic decisions quickly is a bad move.

nb - the soname changes in e happend after about 2 weeks of discussions - WITH
package maintainers from several desktop distributions, some of them already
patching in soname changes. we have lived with enough complaints from people
(normally with little clue) about problems we cant fathom until we find out
they have both packages ANd source installed (built from svn). soname change
should alleviate these, solve the "different distros use different sonames"
problem etc. - but it took 2 weeks of us yelling at eachother over email and
finally agreeing. the initial patches even didnt quite work properly and it
took a few days to fix them. in the end it was all working fine and upgrades
worked. packagers then of course had to catch up with the new naming, and oe is
in the middle of this.

from upstream's view - we didnt intend to force new package names. if users
100% used packaging to manage stuff it would all work. the problem is they
don't in reality and we need to coordinate between upstream and packagers to
make things sane. if oe has magic-mojo that auto-determines names of packages
from libX.so names.. then of course its going to hurt - i would simply say -
turn that logic off and manually specify package name and package file
includes. its manual, but sane and probably works better in the long run for
us :)