[oe] [RFC] install-native

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Mon Apr 27 09:40:27 UTC 2009

Hello all.

Once again I've stumbled upon broken install stage for various packages. And
the reason is again 'install-native' thing bringing in some dusty shelly
version of 'install' that doesn't work with things like "-m0755" and others.

So, I wanted to ask is there any reason for 'install-native' to exist in OE?

We do require 'install' program to be present on the system and I think that
any other version is saner than the one we have in 'install-native'. Also,
almost every package really depends on 'install' while only 7 in OE currently
declare 'install-native' in DEPENDS. And my experience with two of that seven
is that adding those in the build breaks things because of 'install-native'.
I've overlaid both with versions not depending on 'install-native' and
everything works fine.

But maybe we can just remove 'install-native' completely?