[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : Revert "ecore: catch up with the new SONAMEs; move to autosplitting"

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Tue Apr 28 14:41:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 21:44 +0200, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> Again the core team pretty much stood watching in apathy and let
> the most vocal decide on his own, letting him carry his own way again.

I haven't really been following the technical ins and outs of this
thread so I don't have any comment on the rights or wrongs of this
particular issue.  But, from the outside at least, it does seem as
though the core team has consistently failed to show very much in the
way of leadership or direction.  I am exceptionally disappointed to see
that this has apparently reached the point where one of our most
experienced and respected developers is walking away in disgust.

Also, I don't think that the external impression one gains of the core
team is helped by the fact that its operations are somewhat opaque to
non-members: there doesn't seem to be any public record of the decisions
that the core team have made (if indeed it has made any) or the
rationale for them.

If we are to have a core team as the governing body for OE then I would
like to see it taking a more active role in overseeing the project (in
particular, to guide policies for technical issues and not merely focus
on administrivia such as the formatting of commit messages or
Signed-off-by lines), and for this to be done in a more transparent way.
If the current members of the core team are, for whatever reason, not
willing or able to discharge those duties then (much as I hesitate to
call for this) perhaps it's time to hold elections and appoint new
members in their place.

p.