[oe] [oe-commits] Koen Kooi : Revert "ecore: catch up with the new SONAMEs; move to autosplitting"

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Tue Apr 28 21:08:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 14:23 -0400, Cliff Brake wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > If we are to have a core team as the governing body for OE then I would
> > like to see it taking a more active role in overseeing the project (in
> > particular, to guide policies for technical issues and not merely focus
> > on administrivia such as the formatting of commit messages or
> > Signed-off-by lines), and for this to be done in a more transparent way.
> > If the current members of the core team are, for whatever reason, not
> > willing or able to discharge those duties then (much as I hesitate to
> > call for this) perhaps it's time to hold elections and appoint new
> > members in their place.
>
> One possible path is to:
>
> 1) figure out how to get members added to the eV that is already in place.
> 2) hold elections for a board

Agreed, that sounds like a good thing.  But, I'm not sure that the eV
board would necessarily be the same thing as the core team or "steering
committee" that would make the day-to-day decisions.

My understanding of German law is pretty sketchy but I'm guessing that
the main function of the eV board is to be legally responsible for the
operation of the organisation and, as such, it probably requires a
rather different set of skills than one would need to provide technical
or even administrative oversight for the operation of the OE development
project itself.  In particular, given that the eV is (obviously)
constituted in Germany and hence that the authoritative copies of all
the legal documents are presumably those drafted in German, I suspect
that it would probably be a dim idea for anybody with a less than fluent
grasp of that language to serve on the board.

> We also need to stop waiting on the next OSS event to take the next
> step.  We can host conf calls, etc -- whatever it takes.  Documents
> can be scanned/emailed -- we don't have to be in person to sign.  KDE
> seems to have a process for adding eV members.

Yes, I think this is absolutely right.  This is the year 2009 and we
have telephones, faxes, FedEx, email, VoIP, IRC and no doubt many other
things at our disposal.  It does seem silly for progress to be dependent
on everybody being able to meet face-to-face.

p.