[oe] patch for compcache recipe

Ming Chow 周明 chow.ming at linuxbj.com
Fri Aug 14 06:29:04 UTC 2009

Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On Thursday 13 August 2009 21:10:07 Ming Chow 周明 wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried compcache from code.google.com on beagleboard rev B5 and
>> n800 for a couple of weeks. It seems helping me getting more usable memory.
>> The patch will add compcache stuff which provides both compcache kernel
>> modules and managing tool.
>> Tested with recent oe repo on my boards, more evaluation on various real
>> hardware platforms needed though.
>> BTW not touched checksum.ini for the tarball yet.
>>

> Hi,
>
> the patch looks nice. I have three minor comments.

thanks for your kind advices.
> Would you please add the checksums.ini entry and send the mail with a Signed-
> off-by: line?

Sure. I added the checksum entry.

BTW. I had experienced some checksum mismatch before. A few packages
which just work can not pass checksum matching. I guess it may be caused
by hosting or tarball changing without notice. For I am not very clear
how the global checksum.ini is maintained. I lazily set
OE_ALLOW_INSECURE_DOWNLOADS.
> I think sending the last two patches (modules_instal target) and not using gcc
> directly upstream would make sense? Did you already do that?

The modules_install patch is for enable "make modules_install" work when
use the Kernel kbuild system which make it kernel independent.
Originally, people have to use a load_modules.sh script instead install
.kos to lib/modules directory. I think a startup script in /etc/init.d
and a setting file in /etc is a next step work, after find out some
optimal settings on certain platform/distro combination.

The rzscontrol is compiled to native binary with hardcoded in stock tar
ball, change to use ${CCLD} make it work arch independent.
> This one is on naming. The exmap kernel module is called "kernel-module-
> exmap", for the sake of consistency you should consider renaming "compach-
> modules" to "kernel-module-compcache"? And maybe install rzscontrol into the
> compache package too. The reason is that it is not easy to spot the
> relationship from compache to the rzscontrol package.
>
> z.

Good point. I am sorry for mis-naming the module package. Agree with you.
And which is better do you think:
mix rzscontrol and kernel modules
or
put modules in kernel-module-compcache
put rzscontrol in kernel-module-compcache-utils (or compcache-utils)