[oe] LPC3250, helloworld-image, configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:43:00 UTC 2009

On (23/08/09 19:25), Dmitry Vinokurov wrote:
> Khem Raj wrote:

> >>Hm, "configure --help" says "--host=HOST cross-compile to build
> >>programs to run on HOST [BUILD]" and as I understand, I will run
> >>programs on ARM, so it should be 'arm-oe-linux-gnueabi'.
> >>
> >>Anyway, even if host should be x86, instead of i686-linux-gcc it
> >>finds arm-vfp-linux-gcc and fails.
> >
> >dont confuse pure cross with canadian cross. You are doing a normal
> >cross build here which means build machine is same as host machine.
> >
> >Your problem is probably because you are overriding CC and friends
> >which could be confusing (already confused) configure even more.
> >
> >Try setting CC_FOR_BUILD=<your native compiler on the build machine>
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >-Khem
> Thank you for your help. I'm newbie in OE and crosscompiling at all
> and may confuse some things.
>
> Just now I've tried to build some not so simple as helloworld but
> not so complicated as kernel -- bc calculator. And I'd like to say
> that during configure stage it sets:
> --build=i686-linux --host=arm-oe-linux-gnueabi --target=arm-oe-linux-gnueabi
>
> Builded bc works fine on my board and this is normal, not canadian,
> cross build.

its a target package being built on build machine. Your build was failing to compile a package which
will run on your host (similar to cross compilers) they are not same
cases. module-init-tools would be analogically similar to bc but not
module-init-tools-cross which is the package you reported failing.