[oe] fso-apm breakage redux

Thu Dec 3 07:52:58 UTC 2009

Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> fso-apm is now getting dragged in OE by default due to the excessive use
> of RPROVIDES and RCONFLICTS.
>
> Please remove those and find a better solution (e.g. using u-a to
> replace regular apmd) instead of messing up everyones build.

According to our information the RPROVIDES would only be used if you
added that package to your dependency list somewhere. Apparently we were
wrong, sorry for this.

I think we could take up your recent proposal here again and do a

DISTRO_PROVIDER_APM ?= "apm"

and include that in RDEPENDS in task-base-apm (and all recipes pulling
apm). This would allow any distro to override the default apm provider
but not cause hassle for other distros.

Would that be acceptable? Is the variable naming ok? Open for
suggestions, I am not familiar with OE conventions here.

spaetz

P.s. u-a would install both apm and fso-apm which seems less optimal
here, given that we really only want one.