[oe] sane-backends-1.0.20 failing to build

Mike Westerhof mike at mwester.net
Sun Dec 6 21:37:33 UTC 2009

Mike Westerhof wrote:
> Something is rather fishy with the sane-backends that was just committed
> -- anyone else see failures similar to this?  (Looks like the
> mkinstalldirs script doesn't take the -g option?)

Digging into this to find out why it works on one of my build machines
and not on the other reveals that the failure only occurs if the user
doing the build is a member of the "uucp" group.

The configure script is attempting to determine if it should/can change
the group ownership of the lock directory during install.

We can fix this by disabling the lockfile mechanism by passing the
appropriate --without or --disable flags to configure, if anyone cares
enough.  In the meantime, I've fixed it for my builder by removing
myself from the "uucp" group.

-Mike (mwester)