[oe] [RFC] toolchain team question about libiberty.a

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:48:22 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 21:49 +0100, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
>>> can we safely remove this from gcc/gcc-configure-cross.inc?
>>>
>>> do_stage_append () {
>>>         # We use libiberty from binutils
>>>         rm -f ${CROSS_DIR}/lib/libiberty.a
>>
>> Yes, I think those two lines are bogus and can/should be deleted.
>>
> After further discussion on #irc, the commit is here:
> b3312705e639262b3b83017897cd3056b22e8912
>
> (Just in case our analysis was way off and if this needs quick revertion.)

binutils maintains its own version and gcc its own for libiberty even
though the sources are same.
During build time they do not use the one you install but they use the
one they build for themselves. So unless some other package is
requiring this library we can stop installing it altogether in
binutils as well as in gcc. But if we need to have one copy in the
installation then
we should choose whichever is newer of two.

Thx
-Khem