[oe] [RFC] gtk+ and fonts

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Mon Dec 7 16:33:26 UTC 2009

On 07-12-09 16:41, Florian Boor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> our current GTK+ packages recommend a single Truetype font (ttf-dejavu-sans).
> This might pull in a quite large font collection that might be different from
> what the user wants. For a Japanese image e.g. you might not want these at all
> or you might just want different fonts (like the Android ones).
>
> I would be fine removing this RRECOMMENDS entry without any replacement. Another
> option would be to create a virtual provider for basic ttf fonts and define a
> matching run time dependency.
>
> What do you think?

I added that RECOMMENDS years ago to ensure people have a working
system. Are you volunteering to fix up all images and tasks containing
gtk+ apps to include at least one font?
In your japanese android usecase people can just install their favourite
japanese font and use BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS to uninstall ttf-deja-sans at
do_rootfs time.

I fail to see how your proposals don't regress things for the majority
of our current users.

regards,

Koen