[oe] minimal xwindows

John Buckley buckleyassoc at comcast.net
Sun Dec 20 08:27:38 UTC 2009

Przemyslaw Wesolek <przemyslaw.wesolek <at> cs.put.poznan.pl> writes:

> John Buckley wrote:
> > I would like to keep the build intact since it contains all the
> > components and libraries I need.  However, I would like to strip the
> > XWindows boot-up so that only my Xwindow application runs for now so
> > I can see if there are any significant performance improvements in my
> > video streaming.
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can prevent the GPE from starting?  And, how I
> > can launch my GTK+/Xwindows application on bootup.
>
> Startup of application happens as a result of running scripts in
> /etc/rcX.d dirs which are links to /etc/init.d. To stop program loading,
> simply remove the appropriate links, preferably with update-rc.d.
>
> GPE login screen is loaded from gpe-dm script.
>
> Similarly, to run a program on boot time, just add a script for it in
> /etc/init.d and link to it in /etc/rcX.d. Take a look on existing
> scripts on how to implement "start", "stop", etc. modes.
>
> Przemek

Okay, I was able to disable the bootup of gpe-dm.  Now I want to run my own
Xwindows program and have it be the only client calling on the Xserver.

It appears that the 'X' command will launch an instance of Xserver and I can
bring up a plain black or white screen but then OE waits for this process to
finish, therefore I can't subsequently launch my own GTK+/Gstreamer application
that will interact with the Xserver.

Question:  How do I get the Xserver to run in the background as a service so I
can then run my application.  Or, do I just run 'X' and launch my application
using the script .xinitrc or .xsession?

-John