[oe] minimal xwindows

Przemyslaw Wesolek przemyslaw.wesolek at cs.put.poznan.pl
Fri Dec 4 14:04:45 UTC 2009

John Buckley wrote:
> I would like to keep the build intact since it contains all the
> components and libraries I need.  However, I would like to strip the
> XWindows boot-up so that only my Xwindow application runs for now so
> I can see if there are any significant performance improvements in my
> video streaming.
>
> Does anyone know how I can prevent the GPE from starting?  And, how I
> can launch my GTK+/Xwindows application on bootup.

Startup of application happens as a result of running scripts in
/etc/rcX.d dirs which are links to /etc/init.d. To stop program loading,
simply remove the appropriate links, preferably with update-rc.d.

GPE login screen is loaded from gpe-dm script.

Similarly, to run a program on boot time, just add a script for it in
/etc/init.d and link to it in /etc/rcX.d. Take a look on existing
scripts on how to implement "start", "stop", etc. modes.

Przemek