[oe] [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Feb 25 20:21:32 UTC 2009

Hi,

I keep trying to teach people the difference between recipes (what's in
OE) and packages (what you install on the target) and keep getting
reactions like "ok, but why is the dir called packages?", which are
completely valid.

Proposal:

mv packages recipes ; git commit .

While it would make setting up OE more intuitive, it does mean that
people have to adjust local.conf and distro people need to update their
installation instructions.

I have some other intrusive proposals about shuffling things around in
TMP a bit (and out of TMP as well), standardizing on source locations
for source_distribute and sourcepkg, etc, but let's start with this easy
one.

The main motivation for all this is to make the next stable branch
easier to grasp for newbies than the current OE structure.

regards,

Koen