[oe] Discussion regarding the future of OpenEmbedded mailing lists

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Thu Feb 26 19:40:04 UTC 2009

Am Donnerstag, den 26.02.2009, 14:22 +0100 schrieb Marco Cavallini:
> Martyn Welch ha scritto:
> >> To be honest, I am somewhat confused by the naming of the lists.
> >> If I understand correctly, the intent of the new lists are
> >>
> >> OE-private: core-team.
> >>             All the other projects I know of would call this list
> >>             FOOBAR-devel
> >>
> >> OE-devel: rest of the world.
> >>           All the other projects I know of would call this list
> >>           FOOBAR-users
> >>
> >> Is there any reason for this strange (that is: non-standard) naming
> >> scheme?  Is OE-private meant to contain really private (confidential?)
> >> traffic?  If not, I'd guess many people (like me) would mis-interpret
> >> the intent of this list.
> >
> > Yes - it is my understanding that the traffic on Openembedded-private is
> > really private (I believe that OpenEmbedded is now legally registered as
> > a non-profit in Germany and I should imagine there are certain
> > discussions which need a degree of privacy).
>
> IMHO this behaviour would appear like whether OE was yet another
> company/competitor in the embedded market rather than an open source
> project, achieving the opposite effect than expected.

No.

We explicitly encourage companies to use OE in their projects and
openembedded-private has been established to facilitate that for
companies that do not want to be disclosed -- which is their right and
not to be judged by us.

The outcome of this has shown up in more than just one improvement of
OE. If we close this list, we lose opportunities, it's as simple as
that.

--
:M: