[oe] [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Wed Feb 25 20:41:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 09:21:32PM +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I keep trying to teach people the difference between recipes (what's in OE)
> and packages (what you install on the target) and keep getting reactions
> like "ok, but why is the dir called packages?", which are completely valid.
>
> Proposal:
>
> mv packages recipes ; git commit .
>
> While it would make setting up OE more intuitive, it does mean that people
> have to adjust local.conf and distro people need to update their
> installation instructions.

+1 - the whole directory structure needs some revamping. There are also some
inconsistencies with meta, images and tasks directories. But it is good to
start with small and easy items first.

> I have some other intrusive proposals about shuffling things around in TMP
> a bit (and out of TMP as well), standardizing on source locations for
> source_distribute and sourcepkg, etc, but let's start with this easy one.

Speaking of TMP and outside of it - does it make sense to have DEPLOY outside
of TMP by default in OE? I do it in Arago, but I had to make a small fix in
base.bbclass though - see bug #4580.

--
Denys