[oe] [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Wed Feb 25 20:48:56 UTC 2009

Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 25-02-09 21:21, Koen Kooi wrote:
>
>> I have some other intrusive proposals about shuffling things around in
>> TMP a bit (and out of TMP as well), standardizing on source locations
>> for source_distribute and sourcepkg, etc, but let's start with this easy
>> one.
>
> What I meant to say is:
>
> Let's bunch up all the proposals that get approved so we can have a flag
> day in a week or 3 to minimize documentation churn.

Good timing; I was just composing a separate RFC email, but instead I'll
add my thoughts to this thread, since what I will propose is very
similar to the "flag day" idea.

I'd like to propose that we adopt a monthly "Big Change Window" (insert
your favorite term instead, if you wish).  Many organizations do this to
manage changes to shared branches.  The idea is that non-critical, but
potentially disruptive, changes are all merged to the dev branch during
standard time-periods (e.g. the first week of each calendar month).

This would set expectations for all users and even the core developers;
don't sync during these periods if you aren't ready, or perhaps some
folks might make the decision about working on a branch or not based on
the proximity of the Big Change Window.

(BTW, +1 on the renaming of packages to recipes)

-Mike