[oe] Merge windows, was: Re: [RFC] renaming packages/ to recipes/

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Wed Feb 25 21:00:17 UTC 2009

On 25-02-09 21:48, Mike (mwester) wrote:

> I'd like to propose that we adopt a monthly "Big Change Window" (insert
> your favorite term instead, if you wish).  Many organizations do this to
> manage changes to shared branches.  The idea is that non-critical, but
> potentially disruptive, changes are all merged to the dev branch during
> standard time-periods (e.g. the first week of each calendar month).

I like the idea, but I'd like to change it slightly:

All disruptive changes that have been tested and review get merged
during this window.

I can see it ending up as "commit random shit window", which we do not want.

What are your thought on keeping a document that lists the (planned)
merge time of disruptive branches together with a short description of
their aim and impact?

Related to that: a NEWS file would be neat as well, but that's only
needed when we start doing releases based on the stable branch

regards,

Koen