[oe] Bootloader problems

Paolo Cremonese pisa.t at teledata-i.com
Fri Feb 27 11:37:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,
I have problems in generating a bootable device (CF)
During the setup the CF is connected to the host via an USB adapter.

These are the steps I do:

# fdisk /dev/sdb
   create a linux partition /dev/sdb1 and activate it

# mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /media/disk

# cd /media/disk
# tar
-xvf /home/paolo/oe/stuff/build/gpe-image/deploy/glibc/images/i586-generic/gpe-image-i586-generic.tar

and the filesystem is correctly on the CF

# cd boot
# mkdir grub
# cd grub
# < copy of grub files>
# grub ...

the menu.lst contains

title		OpenEmbedded Linux (hda1)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/bzImage-2.6.21 root=/dev/hda1 ro
quiet

The system boots, but when the filesystem is created, the kernel crashes
with the message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "(hd0,0)" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs or
unknown-block(0,0)

but I don't understand what I have to do...

Thanks in advance
Paolo