[oe] OE breakages, was: Re: fakeroot fails to build

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Feb 28 18:29:19 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 07:07:55PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2009/2/28 Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org>:
> > On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:54:46AM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Not sure whether it will be easy to make a build env with chroot
> >> (although I know debian does something like that).
> >
> > Having done this, yes.  It's basically using deboostrap to setup a new
> > system, then for Ubuntu use aptitude and mark everything auto-installed
> > except ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-standard.  Then use (and update)
> > the OEAndYourDistro wiki page + bitbake to see what other host stuff you
> > must bring in.  Vanilla Debian would be, I think, just a different set
> > of meta packages.
>
> I've used debootstrap in the past, but was not too sure whether it
> could also do a cross build.
> If it can I would say such a solution would make it a lot easier to
> port packages.

It sounds like you want something slightly different, a target env setup
on your host.  In a limited sense (ARM only) OpenBossa folks have done
this.

> What also could speed up starting from scratch is if you can download
> a binary build environment.
> Currently if you remove your tmp dir it takes hours and hours to build
> things like gcc, glibc, etc etc

Depends on your build box :)  I've been playing with PARALLEL_MAKE and
BB_NUMBER_THREADS and on a dual dual core box (2 dual core
processors) -j 4 / 4 gives me my SDK targets (Linux and MinGW) in under
2 hours.  I'm still tweaking the numbers however to see if I can get it
down to 90min.

Tangentally, packaged staging _can_ help here, but it's not I believe,
relocatible (unless you assume-provided some -native packages and
possibly we've fixed what we're doing wrong with gcc configure args).
IOW, if you build in, /OE/tmp you can't re-use the packaged staging
packages in /home/me/OE/tmp

--
Tom Rini