[oe] OE breakages, was: Re: fakeroot fails to build

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 18:07:55 UTC 2009

2009/2/28 Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org>:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:54:46AM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> [snip]
>> Not sure whether it will be easy to make a build env with chroot
>> (although I know debian does something like that).
>
> Having done this, yes.  It's basically using deboostrap to setup a new
> system, then for Ubuntu use aptitude and mark everything auto-installed
> except ubuntu-minimal and ubuntu-standard.  Then use (and update)
> the OEAndYourDistro wiki page + bitbake to see what other host stuff you
> must bring in.  Vanilla Debian would be, I think, just a different set
> of meta packages.
>
> --
> Tom Rini

I've used debootstrap in the past, but was not too sure whether it
could also do a cross build.
If it can I would say such a solution would make it a lot easier to
port packages.

What also could speed up starting from scratch is if you can download
a binary build environment.
Currently if you remove your tmp dir it takes hours and hours to build
things like gcc, glibc, etc etc

Frans.