[oe] Bugtracker Status

Vitus Jensen vjensen at gmx.de
Fri Jan 23 08:27:40 UTC 2009

Am Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:55:17 -0200 schrieb Otavio Salvador:

> "Michael 'Mickey' Lauer" <mickey at vanille-media.de> writes:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> we have 1141 open bugs in the bugtracker, a couple of hundreds from
>> ancient autobuilder builds, some more hundreds application specific
>> bugs, and then some actual ones.
>>
>> I think there are two ways to deal with the mess:
>>
>> 1.) Officially close the bugtracker down.
>>
>> 2.) Attack the situation.
>>
>> I'm fine with either way, though if we'd go for 2.), I'd propose:
>>
>> 2.1.) Removing all autobuilder bugs completely (how can we script
>> that?) and stop autobuilder automatically adding bugs. It was a great
>> idea, but it didn't work out. We do not have enough manpower and it
>> just messes up the bugtracker.
>> 2.2.) Remove all software specific bugs that have an upstream and are
>> not distribution-relevant, such as GPE, Opie, Kernel, etc. 2.3.)
>> Reinstate the monthly bug squashing weekends.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> I propose to change the workflow a bit (and reuse few points you've
> proposed):
>
>  1. stop using bugtracker to handle patches
>  2. use mailing list to handle patches (comments bellow)
>  3. drop autobuilder bug reporting (comments bellow)

While I just occasional work with OpenEmbedded I have to remark that I
have two patches patches published which didn't make it into the
repository the last months:

1. posted to this list (adds htmldoc)
2. in bugzilla (fixes php 5 compile)

I can live with that, just using my private branch.  But having gotten no
comments what's wrong with those patches I think this shows that either
way doesn't work at the moment.

And --- if you want my opinion --- it's much easier for me to monitor my
comments in bugzilla or search patches there.

By[t]e,
   Vitus

--
Vitus Jensen, Hannover, Germany, Earth, Milky Way, Universe (current)