[oe] Bugtracker Status

Valentin Longchamp valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch
Fri Jan 23 10:30:08 UTC 2009

Otavio Salvador wrote:

> I propose to change the workflow a bit (and reuse few points you've proposed):
>
>  1. stop using bugtracker to handle patches
>  2. use mailing list to handle patches (comments bellow)
>  3. drop autobuilder bug reporting (comments bellow)
>
> Besides, I have no objection about your points 2.2 and 2.3 but I'm too
> new in the OE environment to comment about them so let me comment
> about my points:
>
>  1 and 2:
>
>  We're trying to get more people to review the changes to be done in
>  OE dev tree and bugzilla UI is horrible and difficult to use (at
>  least for me). Most people ends up redoing someone else patch since
>  we don't watch carefully the bugtrack.
>
>  I propose we move to mailing list reviewing process mostly like Linux
>  kernel does. We can use PatchWork (http://ozlabs.org/~jk/projects/patchwork/)
>  tool to make our life easier. I see some pros for that:
>
>   . people will get more review into the patches
>   . people will be aware of ongoing work and what is being prepared to
>     be merged
>   . less forgotten patches
>   . less duplicated work
>
>  I also see a single con for that:
>
>   . more mailing list traffic

Even if I am not very much involved in the OE development, I completely
agree with Otavio. The few patches that I have proposed are often stuck
on the bugzilla. Maybe it would be better with a mailing-list.

Furthermore, now that we use git, we have plenty of tools to send
patches to a mailing-list (format-patch, send-email and am).

I would definitely support a patch review style like on the linux kernel
mailing-lists even if this implies a high-traffic list (with simple
filter rules in your mail client, it's easy to handle). However, I don't
think it would be a good idea to have two lists.

My 2 c.

Val

--
Valentin Longchamp, PhD Student, EPFL-STI-LSRO1
valentin.longchamp at epfl.ch, Phone: +41216937827