[oe] Building for i486 based non-FPU device

Marco Cavallini koansoftware at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:11:06 UTC 2009

Hello,
This discussion was in thread "FOSDEM OE stand"
I'm trying to build for a machine I'd like to let at OE stand.
http://www.koala.it/it/nanopc.htm
It's a i486 based non-FPU device (Vortex86sx), so I tried to build

DISTRO = "angstrom-2008.1"

I created my new machine copying it from
 conf/machine/i586-generic.conf
and changing the following settings:
 TARGET_ARCH = "i486"
 PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS = "x86"
 PREFERRED_VERSION_linux = "2.6.26"
(I also changed 2.6.26 recipe)

I found several problems:
i586-generic uses TARGET_ARCH = "i586" : ok but for 586
x86          uses TARGET_ARCH = "i586" : build broken
qemux86      uses TARGET_ARCH = "i586" : not used
i486-generic uses TARGET_ARCH = "i486" : build broken

No one of the previous tested build give a useful result,
what could I change to get a running system?

Maybe do I have to specify TARGET_CC_ARCH = "-march=i486" ?
Would be better to switch this discussion to IRC ?
Any hint will be greatly appreciated.
TIA
--
Marco Cavallini