[oe] GNU Classpath and the XMPP Smack API

Jan Pannecoeck jpa at mgb-tech.com
Thu Jan 29 13:43:02 UTC 2009

Hi all,

No clue where the fire this question, but since I'm using OE with GNU
Classpath and JamVM 1.5 I thought I could ask my question here... Since
finding a solution for my problem is quite hard. And maybe someone who
is reading this mailinglist has had this problem before.

As the subject is already telling you, I'm stuck trying to get the Smack
API working on my embedded device. The Smack library is written to
communicate using XMPP. I know already that smack is developed to work
under the Java Sun library, and that using GNU Classpath could cause
problems. But since they have managed to get it working at Android, with
the GNU Classpath, I think that it should be possible to run it also on
an OpenEmbedded device.

I've got the latest version of the smack.jar that was patched for the
Android, but that still isn't working. I have had a bunch of different
errors like:

- OEFException during the SSLSocket doHandshake method.
- KeyStoreException: jks during an SALSAuthentication

And now I'm having a "No response from the server" exception during the
NonSASLAuthentication.authenticate method.

I know this problem is quite big and my explanation is probably not that
great neither, but still I hope that someone has done this before and
succeeded in his mission. If someone could send me some more information
about this, or a working smack.jar (if possible with source code) that
would be great!!

All help is welcome ofcourse!

Thanks in advance,
Jan Pannecoeck