[oe] GNU Classpath and the XMPP Smack API

Robert Schuster thebohemian at gmx.net
Thu Jan 29 15:04:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

Jan Pannecoeck schrieb:
> As the subject is already telling you, I'm stuck trying to get the Smack
> API working on my embedded device. The Smack library is written to
> communicate using XMPP. I know already that smack is developed to work
> under the Java Sun library, and that using GNU Classpath could cause
> problems. But since they have managed to get it working at Android, with
> the GNU Classpath, I think that it should be possible to run it also on
> an OpenEmbedded device.
Android is using Apache's JavaSE library called Harmony.

> I've got the latest version of the smack.jar that was patched for the
> Android, but that still isn't working. I have had a bunch of different
> errors like:
>
> - OEFException during the SSLSocket doHandshake method.
> - KeyStoreException: jks during an SALSAuthentication
First of all, the "Java Keystore" (jks) format isn't supported by GNU
Classpath.

Furthermore I know that SSL stuff often caused trouble but do not
understand this enough to fix it on my own.

> I know this problem is quite big and my explanation is probably not that
> great neither, but still I hope that someone has done this before and
> succeeded in his mission. If someone could send me some more information
> about this, or a working smack.jar (if possible with source code) that
> would be great!!
>
> All help is welcome ofcourse!
If you are adventurous you might try the Cacao+OpenJDK solution for your
device.
That would give you OpenJDK class library plus Cacao as the VM.

In order to build it you need to add the Jalimo SVN repo as an overlay
to OE. Disable the strict md5sum checking for now, since the files
mentioned in the overlay are not in OE's official checksum.ini .

Regards
Robert