[oe] OpenEmbedded goals?

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Sat Jul 4 14:02:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009, Mart R. wrote:

> I have been exploring Ångström and thus OpenEmbedded lately. The
> building process works nicely out of the box, but running it on some
> low end embedded system is out of the question because it is just too
> slow and bloated for my taste. Stripping it down is not an easy job
> either as I would have to edit countless of *.bb files.

Hi Mart,

If you create an overlay, you can fairly easily tweak individual .bb files
to strip them down without rewriting the entire recipe.

You can list your overlay dir before the OE recipe dir in COLLECTIONS. Set
FILESPATHBASE to look in your COLLECTIONS for extra patches and files,
include amend-recipes.inc from your distro conf, and create amend.inc in
your overlay for any recipes you want to mangle.

This is what the COLLECTIONS and FILESPATHBASE setting looks like:

http://jrz.cbnco.com/git/?p=toastix/toastix.git;a=blob;f=public/conf/site.conf;h=ee1a6d9ce60f65d37dca293c5c4ded04bbb03ff4;hb=HEAD

amend-recipes.inc:

http://projects.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2009-May/011181.html

An amended recipe:

http://jrz.cbnco.com/git/?p=toastix/toastix.git;a=blob;f=public/recipes/diffutils/amend.inc;h=09b24cf568bea5311c1f0a2d154a710752d4e24e;hb=HEAD

(Don't expect much in that repo to work...)

Mike