[oe] OpenEmbedded goals?

Florian Boor florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de
Sun Jul 5 20:40:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

Mart R. wrote:
> I have been exploring CEngstrC6m and thus OpenEmbedded lately. The
> building process works nicely out of the box, but running it on some
> low end embedded system is out of the question because it is just too
> slow and bloated for my taste. Stripping it down is not an easy job
> either as I would have to edit countless of *.bb files.

you might want to take a look at the "micro" distribution in OE and its
images. The initrd images are another example for tiny images.

> - Out of the box cross-compile environment to whatever system you can
> - imagine,

> - Vanilla *.bb files for distributions to use, so they would not have
> to duplicate all that work that has already been put into creating
> those rules.
> It would also mean scrapping all the distribution configurations out
> of OE, doing away with all non-essential patches from the BitBake
> recipes, etc.

I don't see a reason to do this. OE summarizes a lot of knowledge about how
to (cross-) build whole distributions. Why should we strip away a part of
this?
I see it takes a while to get along with the complexity of OE.... but would
you be happier with less know how and less examples how to do things
correctly?

Greetings

Florian

--
The dream of yesterday                  Florian Boor
is the hope of today                    Tel: +49 271-771091-15
[Robert Hutchings Goddard, 1904]        florian.boor at kernelconcepts.de
                                        http://www.kernelconcepts.de/en