[oe] [Bitbake-dev] Bitbake runqueue performance improvement

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Jul 22 22:24:33 UTC 2009

So I looked into this offlist. The problem is actually OE's
image.bbclass which has:

"addtask rootfs after do_compile before do_install"

introduced in:

http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/commit/?id=736c06e8d8efa79d3d2bc512f13a51f0f63412e2

Our rootfs_ipk class has:

do_rootfs[recrdeptask] += "do_package_write_ipk"

which means do_rootfs runs after every do_package_write_ipk task that
do_rootfs can recursively depend on.

do_package_write_ipk depends on do_package which depends on do_install.

The image.bb file itself actually has a do_package_write_ipk task just
like any other .bb file and do_rootfs should come after it yet we insert
it before do_install.

So what I'm saying is that I think the new bitbake code has found a
valid error in the metadata and that commit is rather misguided.
Multiple image generation works fine in Poky without that FWIW too.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers,

Richard