[oe] [Bitbake-dev] Bitbake runqueue performance improvement

Roman I Khimov khimov at altell.ru
Thu Jul 23 05:48:13 UTC 2009

On Четверг 23 июля 2009 02:24:33 Richard Purdie wrote:
> Our rootfs_ipk class has:
>
> do_rootfs[recrdeptask] += "do_package_write_ipk"
>
> which means do_rootfs runs after every do_package_write_ipk task that
> do_rootfs can recursively depend on.
>
> do_package_write_ipk depends on do_package which depends on do_install.
>
> The image.bb file itself actually has a do_package_write_ipk task just
> like any other .bb file and do_rootfs should come after it yet we insert
> it before do_install.

If recrdeptask is supposed to apply to the package that wants recrdeps, then
it's wrong, sure. How to fix that is the question, we can't do

do_rootfs[recrdeptask] += "do_rootfs"

And yet we want to run do_rootfs for image after do_rootfs's for dependencies
were made.

> Multiple image generation works fine in Poky without that FWIW too.

It can't or we're talking about different multiimage situations. I've written
already here, suppose you need different images that depend like this (real
example, BTW):

       /-8
  /-2--+
1-+    +-9
  |    |
  +-3  \-10

  +-4

  \-5-6-7

So when I'm building image number 2, I need to have images 8, 9, 10 to be
built to place that images on image number 2. Same with 6-7, 5-6 and 1 to 2,
3, 4, 5. Without that patch bitbake started do_rootfs for image number 2
before do_rootfs for 8, 9, 10 was done.

In order to solve it using standard package deps mechanism that commit was
made.