[oe] [Bitbake-dev] Bitbake runqueue performance improvement

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Fri Jul 24 21:11:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 13:37 -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > Is there any other feedback on the bitbake patch?
>
> For me, it makes preparing the runqueue at least twice as fast (from ~2
> to ~1 second for a small console image, ~14 to ~6 for something with X11).

Great!

> My task dependencies look identical before and after the patch, except
> for the new harmless <image>.do_rootfs ->
> <image>.do_package_write_deb,do_populate_staging that you wrote about at
> the start of the thread.
>
> Now if only "Resolving any missing task queue dependencies" were a
> little faster :) That part's running about 40 seconds for me on a large
> image.

As it happens, try the patch from
http://cgit.openembedded.net/cgit.cgi/bitbake/commit/?id=72bf7476b2492b6524cb8ff87ee5f4e86b28d975

It should apply to bitbake 1.8 just as well as trunk as those files are
the same.

If anyone is interested in profiling things, "bitbake foo -g -P" gives
the numbers on where its spending time.

Cheers,

Richard