[oe] busybox & syslog init script

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Wed Jun 3 14:23:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 10:09 -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> Phil Blundell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 21:27 -0400, Michael Smith wrote:
> >> 1) split the syslog initscript into busybox-syslog, as is already done for
> >> busybox-httpd and busybox-udhcpd;
>
> > The only practical way to do #1 is to make busybox Depend: on the
> > newly-created busybox-syslog package.  Otherwise, folks who do "ipkg
> > install busybox" in the expectation of getting the syslog bits will be
> > disappointed.
>
> Would RRECOMMENDS have the same effect? It works for rootfs
> (busybox-syslog ends up in the root image). But I don't know if ipkg
> cares about recommends.
>
> I'd prefer RRECOMMENDS to RDEPENDS, because if I don't have
> CONFIG_SYSLOGD=y, I can make busybox-syslog be empty so it won't get
> created and nothing will complain.

RRECOMMENDS would work, but ipkg will issue an ugly diagnostic
("unsatisfied recommendation for...") if busybox-syslog is missing.  I'm
not sure what other package managers will do here.

It might be better to stick with RDEPENDS and either (i) arrange for the
dependency to be conditional on CONFIG_SYSLOGD having been enabled,
which you could do with a bit of python in busybox.bb, or (ii) write a
bit of general-purpose post-processing code in package.bbclass to knock
out dependencies on empty packages that have been eliminated.

p.