[oe] glibc_2.6.1.bb - dangling symlink to /lib/libcidn-2.6.1.so

Michael Smith msmith at cbnco.com
Wed Jun 17 22:25:47 UTC 2009

Elvis Dowson wrote:

> NOTE: the following files were installed but not shipped in any package:
> NOTE:   /lib/libmemusage.so
> NOTE:   /lib/libcidn-2.6.1.so
 > NOTE: glibc contains dangling symlink to /lib/libcidn-2.6.1.so

Hi Elvis,

I don't think it's going to hurt. Bottom line, the fix is probably to
add ${base_libdir}/libcidn-*.so and ${base_libdir}/libcidn*.so.* to
libc_baselibs in glibc-package.bbclass, but you aren't likely to use the
functionality provided by this library.

libcidn is a glibc add-on that allows getaddrinfo() to resolve domain
names with special characters. It's enabled by default in libc_2.6.1.bb:

GLIBC_ADDONS ?= "ports,nptl,libidn"

But a lot of machines override it, so I guess many people never see this
libcidn:

conf/machine/x86.conf:GLIBC_ADDONS = "nptl"

Recently glibc-package.bbclass was changed to have a whitelist of
libraries in order to prevent unneeded .a files from being shipped. The
whitelist doesn't contain libcidn-*.so. It does contain "libc*.so.*"
which is why you get the symlink (libcidn.so.1).

> NOTE: Multiple libraries (libnss_nisplus.so.2, libnss_hesiod.so.2,
> libnss_nis.so.2) found, but LEAD_SONAME 'libc.so' doesn't match any of them
> NOTE: Running task 548 of 581 (ID: 204,
> /tool/overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/gcc/gcc-cross_4.3.3.bb,
> do_configure)

LEAD_SONAME is set to "libc.so", but maybe it should be
LEAD_SONAME_${PN} instead so it doesn't leak into glibc-extra-nss, etc.
I don't use this feature so I can't say for sure, but I doubt it really
breaks anything.

> NOTE: Couldn't find shared library provider for libgcc_s.so.1

Do you have /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 in your rootfs? If so, it found a way in
somehow in spite of this warning.

You could also set:

ASSUME_SHLIBS += "libgcc_s.so.1:libgcc"

(cribbed from openwrt-sdk -- but I wonder if it should be global?)

Mike