[oe] Suppress kernel image from the filesystem image

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Jun 18 00:06:30 UTC 2009

Hi,

When discussing the issue of suppressing the kernel image from the filesystem
image, it was suggested it is still an open question:

<Crofton|work> the kernel image getting installed in the image has been a long
standing headache

Several ways were mentioned, like fiddling with FILES variable and using
BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS. But the correct method is supposed to be overriding the
RDEPENDS_kernel-base from kernel.bbclass:

<pb___> denix0: these lines seem to suggest what the intended behaviour was:
<pb___> # Allow machines to override this dependency if kernel image files are
<pb___> # not wanted in images as standard
<pb___> RDEPENDS_kernel-base ?= "kernel-image"
<pb___> but, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me at the moment, my
efforts to override RDEPENDS_kernel-base did not meet with success.

I played with it for some time and realized that in order for it to work, the
kernel needs to be rebuilt before the new dependencies take place. So, I
added this to the local.conf:

RDEPENDS_kernel-base = ""

And after rebuilding the kernel and the filesystem I no longer see kernel
image in the filesystem!

The only problem I see with this approach is it builds the kernel packages
differently (USE-flags, anyone?) and if I use a public feed, I may end up
installing kernel image into the system again...

--
Denys