[oe] Patch for libfann-2.0.0 recipe

Tom Rini trini at embeddedalley.com
Fri Jun 19 17:47:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06:18AM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> On 19-06-09 01:05, Tom Rini wrote:

>>> Suppose you want to bump PR on every xorg lib recipe, do you want to
>>> edit 70 recipes or do you only want to edit 1 .inc file and 3 recipes?
>>> If you're in the 'edit 70 recipes' crowd, add PR = "r0" to all recipes
>>> in OE. If not, leave it out, bitbake defaults to it anyway.
>>> Also, does anyone remember how much pain we had when adding ${PN}-dbg
>>> into the default PACKAGES only to discover that lots of recipes were
>>> needlessly copying defaults?
>>
>> But there's no .inc file here.  How about saying:
>> - Adding an .inc file MUST switch all the recipes now using it to INC_PR
>> - If you're modifying recipes that really should be INC_PR, make them
>>    INC_PR while you're in there (the 70 xorg lib recipes not using INC_PR
>>    today for example).
>> - New recipes that also create a .inc must set INC_PR = "r0" / PR =
>>    "${INC_PR}.0"
>> - New recipes that are just a single .bb must set PR = "r0"
>>
>> The arguement against "leave it out, bitbake defaults to it anyway." is
>> that "once you make a change it's easier to forget to bump PR/INC_PR if
>> it's not staring you in the face".
>
> Shall we start putting every var in a recipe then? Setting vars to their
> default is just bloat and wastes parse time.

If there's other variables that need to be changed, frequently, from
their default value after the first commit, yes, we should put those in
as well.

I would have assumed that since changing a package without changing the
PR can wreck havoc on public feeds you would be in favor of helping to
keep those problems at bay.

--
Tom Rini