[oe] update-rc.d: don't add runtime dependency if not doing online package management; only add it to ${PN} in any case.

Christopher Larson clarson at mvista.com
Sat Jun 20 15:21:38 UTC 2009

Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 08:36 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 17:41 -0400, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:
>>
>>> Any ideas why RDEPENDS_{PN} in "udev" recipe works, but RDEPENDS_udev doesn't?
>>> It only happens with inherit update-rc.d.bbclass, which also changes
>>> RDEPENDS_{PN}... I have the same issue with my own recipes, which I need to
>>> fix similarly.
>>>
>> It's a side effect of the way that overrides work in bitbake.
>>

> ... and Chris Larson, being the great guy that he is, has now added a
> check for this issue to recipe_sanity.bbclass.  If you have sanity
> checking enabled, this situation will now elicit a diagnostic along the
> lines of:
>
> NOTE: glibc-2.9: recipe_sanity: rename of variable 'RPROVIDES_${PN}-dev'
> to 'RPROVIDES_glibc-dev' overwrote existing value ' libc-dev' with
> 'libc6-dev virtual-libc-dev'.
>
> which should make it easy to identify such issues in the future.  Thanks
> Chris!

Not a problem, happy to help.  It's worth noting, for anyone that hasn't
tried recipe_sanity yet, that because it outputs so many messages, by
default it's a standalone task, rather than being hooked into the normal
build process the way sanity (config checks) and insane (packages /
output checks) are.  Using it is explicit, INHERIT += "recipe_sanity",
then bitbake -c recipe_sanity foo or bitbake -c recipe_sanity_all foo
(to run against foo and its deps).

-Chris