[oe] OMAP3530 bring-up (and installation of Angstrom)

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Thu Jun 25 18:28:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 09:50:41PM +0400, Sergey Lapin wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I have a new OMAP3530-based board which is totally empty.
> omapzoom tools recognize ASIC ID on serial port, so I think it should
> be possible
> to bring it up this way. Do anybody have some minimal testing program
> to flip some GPIO,
> or character on serial?
> I can't get any output from x-loader on either UART1 or UART3.. How
> should I build binary for
> it to be recognized by boot loader over serial?
> No JTAG is here for this processor, and I have some troubles with
> understanding of
> Windows tools.

Does your board have any buttons or DIP-switches to select boot order? You may
need to select the serial boot in order for the BootROM to send a handshake
sequence on the UART3. The handshake on the therminal looks like several
characters of garbage, starting with '40T'. The boot order is selected by a
DIP-switch on OMAP3EVM and by a "User" button on BeagleBoard.

Then you need to use one of the available peripheral loaders to load a small
version of U-boot over UART or USB into OMAP's SRAM and from there you can
flash a final versions of x-load and U-boot into NAND. There are HOWTO's
available, for example, here is one for BeagleBoard:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardRecovery

There should be a similar one for OMAP3EVM, but I currently cannot seem to
find it...

--
Denys