[oe] How to replace linux-omap3-2.6.29 rt2x00 wifi modules with rt73usb wifi module

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at mac.com
Sun Jun 28 21:28:28 UTC 2009

Hi,
	At the moment, the linux-omap3-2.6.29.bb recipe has inbuilt support
for the Ralink rt2x00 series and rt73 wifi modules in the kernel.

Now the default rt2x00 modules are not working properly for me, and I
want to incorporate a new driver from the ralinktech website, and get
it to be incorporated in the linux-omap3-2.6.29 kernel build, and then
configure the kernel using bitbake -c menuconfig linux-omap3-2.6.29
command, and see the new kernel module, but have the old ralink rt2x00
drivers removed.

How can I do this?

Here is the link to the ralink tech website:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

Here is a small recipe that I have created for the rt73usb driver:

DESCRIPTION = "Enhanced Driver for Ralink rt73 USB 802.11g WiFi sticks"
HOMEPAGE = "http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html"
SECTION = "kernel/modules"
LICENSE = "GPL"

PR = "r1"

SRC_URI = "http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/2009_0206_RT73_Linux_STA_Drv1.1.0.2.tar.bz2
"

inherit module

S = "${WORKDIR}/${PN}-${PV}/Module/"

do_compile_prepend_arm () {
   MAKE_TARGETS="arm"
}

do_compile() {
   export KERNDIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}
   module_do_compile
}

do_install() {
	install -d ${D}${base_libdir}/modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}
	install -m 0644 rt73usb${KERNEL_OBJECT_SUFFIX} ${D}${base_libdir}/
modules/${KERNEL_VERSION}
}

Best regards,

Elvis