[oe] PARALLEL_MAKE

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Mar 14 17:42:32 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 11:29:28AM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Ah,
>
> Thanks alot Tom, I was unaware of this. Mostly I repaired thse
> breakages by disabling PARALLEL_MAKE. Apparently most of the time not
> the optimal solution....
> Will do things better in the future (and will try to repair things
> where things go wrong.
> One small Q though: The fact that a package is build during the build
> of another pacakge, doesn't that implicitly say that there is a
> dependency between these?

Nope, in fact it's the opposite.  BB_NUMBER_THREADS is a max, not a min
that can be going.  So with 4 threads, up to 4 tasks that have had all
pre-requisite tasks completed, may be running.

> (actually thinking of it as I write this: guess most packages should
> depend on gcc, glibc etc but these are not made explicit)

Actually, I think those deps are explicit in the DEFAULT_DEPS or so
variable, somewhere (which is why glibc and a few others have
INHIBIT_DEFAULT_DEPS = 1).

--
Tom Rini