[oe] Kernel/module dependencies?

Philip Black phil.black at hillcrestlabs.com
Tue Mar 17 20:11:53 UTC 2009

Maybe something is messed up in my configuration, I have a problem with
modules built outside the kernel.  If I update the kernel (including
bumping the recipe revision), other kernel modules do not get rebuilt.
I have a couple of modules whose recipes are set up with lines like:

RDEPENDS += "kernel (${KERNEL_VERSION)"
DEPENDS += "virtual/kernel"

but when the kernel gets updated, the modules do not rebuild.  Is this
just how bitbake works? or is there a way to get modules to rebuild
whenever the kernel updates.  My problem is that when the kernel is
changed, I can no longer load modules built against the previous
revision.  To get things working again, I need to force the rebuild of
anything that depends on the kernel, which is less than ideal.

Thanks in advance,
phil