[oe] Loss of all package history following the recipe rename.

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Wed Mar 18 18:07:51 UTC 2009

2009/3/18 Philip Balister <philip at balister.org>:
> Chris Larson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 8:38 AM, John Willis
>> <John.Willis at distant-earth.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> After kergoth took the time to point out that I was just looking at this
>>> 'the wrong way' and not 'the GIT way' I think the mail can safely be
>>> disregarded ;-).
>>>
>>> It still does not change the fact that the behavior of 'git log' gave me
>>> real panic moment but at least nothing is lost if your happy to dig (or
>>> rather use git log --follow, ok, next time I promise to read the man page
>>> before panicking ;-), I am just used to --follow functionality being a
>>> default behavior).
>>
>> Re: default behavior, I'm not entirely certain, but the 'diff.renames'
>> git config parameter seems promising.  Try running:
>> git config diff.renames true
>>
>> I'm not sure if git log --follow is the same thing as git diff-tree
>> -M, but it probably is, since git log is essentially git rev-list |
>> git diff-tree.
>
> A friend of mine pointed me at this article:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/x7ubgl6wanubwa3g#query:git%20mv%20lost%20history+page:1+mid:pl3pbiuhzu2excg7+state:results
>
> Hopefully, this makes more send to the git gurus.

Aye, it seems that doing 'git log .' inside the renamed directory
won't show the history across the rename boundary, only if you look at
the log without specifying a path, or if you specify a single file and
use --follow.  That's somewhat annoying :\

Side note: if you're doing a git log -p, you probably want to do git
log -M -p, so you don't see the add/remove of every file in the diffs
for the renames.
--
Chris Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com