[oe] Package Maintenance

Junqian Gordon Xu xjqian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:56:07 UTC 2009

On 03/24/2009 01:36 PM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Disadvantage of a Maintainers file is that it is yet another file to
> update when you create a package (adjacent to the checksums file and
> of course the package recipe). Guess it will be forgotten regularly.
>
> Also I fear we're going to end up with a lot of orphaned packages.

One possibility is to get statistics about the committer from the last X
commits, calculate the mean and standard deviation (STD) of the age of
the last X commits to indicate how likely the maintainer is alive, and
automatically update the Maintainer file every month. There will be
other details to discuss, but the maintainer file would look something
like this.

Recipe name	Maintainer	Mean Age (last 5)	STD (last 5)

gcc		Koen		2 month            	10 days
binutils        RP		1 year			2 month

Regards
Gordon